One Hundred years of Crimson

May 25 1915 copyBy SYDNEY CROMWELL, Editor-in-Chief

Samford’s student newspaper first hit newsstands on Feb. 9, 1915. At the time, the university was still named Howard College and was located in the East Lake area of Birmingham. Under the direction of alumnus and editor-in-chief Jasper Hutto, the Howard Crimson published 1,000 copies per week for students and paid subscribers.

As part of the Crimson’s centennial celebration, the editorial staff is publishing select articles from the university’s Special Collections archives to show readers how the newspaper has changed throughout the years.

The following article is from the earliest edition of the Howard Crimson saved in Special Collections. It was originally published May 25, 1915.

This announcement was originally published on the front page with a complete list of the graduates’ names and the hometowns.

Leave a comment

All fields marked (*) are required