Categories: World

China doubles down on its spy balloon story by firing national weather service chief

close Video

China is ‘very deliberate’ in its national security plans: Lt. Gen. Richard Newton

Former Minot Air Force base Commander and Retired Lt. Gen. Richard Newton says China flying a balloon over U.S. military bases is a ‘significant’ move as part of their bigger picture.

China fired the chief of its national weather service Saturday in a move widely seen as an effort to substantiate its claims that the balloon floating across the U.S. this weekend was an off-course weather craft.

Beijing announced Zhuang Guotai’s firing Saturday, hours before the U.S. shot down the craft off the coast of South Carolina. The U.S. is working to recover the balloon for inspection, but Beijing has argued that it was innocuous and its presence in U.S. airspace was an accident.

“The Chinese side has, after verification, repeatedly informed the U.S. side of the civilian nature of the airship and conveyed that its entry into the U.S. due to force majeure was totally unexpected,” China’s Foreign Ministry said in a Saturday statement.

While Zhuang’s firing is seen as support for China’s version of events, its impact is somewhat undercut given that he was scheduled to leave the weather service regardless. Zhuang had already won an election to lead the western Gansu province’s People’s Political Consultative Committee in late January.

REP MIKE ROGERS OFFERS GOP ASSESSMENT OF CHINESE SPY FLIGHT

U.S. President Joe Biden shakes hands with Chinese President Xi Jinping. The pair are now squaring off over a Chinese balloon shot down by the U.S.
(REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque)

A Chinese balloon flies in the sky over Billings, Montana, U.S. February 1, 2023 in this picture obtained from social media.
(Chase Doak/via Reuters)

China condemned the U.S. decision to shoot down the balloon as a “clear overreaction” Saturday. 

CHINA SPY BALLOON SHOWS COUNTRY IS PREPARING CITIZENS FOR WAR THAT COULD COME ‘AT ANY POINT’

“China strongly disapproves of and protests against the U.S. attack on a civilian unmanned airship by force,” the Foreign Ministry said.

“Under such circumstances, the U.S. use of force is a clear overreaction and a serious violation of international practice,” it added. “China will resolutely safeguard the legitimate rights and interests of the company concerned, and reserves the right to make further responses if necessary.”

Despite China’s claims, the U.S. Department of Defense determined that the balloon was “maneuverable, undercutting the likelihood that it had blown across the Pacific to the U.S.

Photos taken in Aynor, SC of the Chinese spy balloon being shot down.
(Fox News)

The uproar over the balloon came as Secretary of State Tony Blinken was scheduled to travel to China to meet with his counterpart and Chinese leader Xi Jinping. Those plans have since been postponed, however.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

President Biden and other Democrats have argued the presence of the balloon in U.S. airspace was unacceptable, but the Pentagon has yet to state whether the craft was intended for espionage.

Anders Hagstrom is a reporter with Fox News Digital covering national politics and major breaking news events. Send tips to Anders.Hagstrom@Fox.com, or on Twitter: @Hagstrom_Anders.

Share

Recent Posts

Trump urged to review UN immunity, lax visa rules amid national security concerns

close Video President Trump speaks about Elise Stefanik's withdrawal as nominee for Ambassador to the…

18 minutes ago

World leaders react to Trump’s sweeping tariffs: ‘tumultuous times’ ahead

close Video Sen. Kennedy says US in ‘uncharted waters’ on tariffs: ‘Nobody knows’ what impact…

18 minutes ago

Florida man accused of killing girlfriend, staging murder scene while their children slept: police

close Video Karen Read faces second murder trial in death of boyfriend True crime forensic…

28 minutes ago

Here’s a closer look at Trump’s tariff plan: What to know about the new duties

President Donald Trump laid out his plans for imposing a host of new tariffs on…

38 minutes ago

Judge Boasberg poised to hold Trump admin in contempt, takes down names of DHS officials: ‘Pretty sketchy’

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg on Thursday grilled Trump administration lawyers over whether they defied…

38 minutes ago

Dr. Oz becomes next head of Medicare and Medicaid Services following approval from full Senate

Dr. Mehmet Oz will serve as the next administrator of the Centers for Medicare and…

38 minutes ago