Categories: World

Haiti rescue charter flight carrying Americans lands in Miami as gang violence escalates

close Video

Haiti’s political issues ‘all started’ with the Clintons: Jack Brewer

Former NFL defensive back Jack Brewer weighs in on the threat that Haitian gangs pose to the community during an appearance on ‘Fox & Friends Weekend.’

Join Fox News for access to this content Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge. Please enter a valid email address. By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided. Having trouble? Click here.

As Haiti spirals into chaos after weeks of gang violence, the first rescue charter flight took off from the Caribbean nation and landed in Miami Sunday afternoon, a U.S. official confirmed to Fox News. 

All 47 passengers on board are believed to be Americans and the flight was reserved only for those who had U.S. passports, the official said. 

An armed member of the G9 and Family gang rolls a tire to burn at a roadblock in the Delmas 6 neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Monday, March 11, 2024. (AP Photo/Odelyn Joseph)

The flight took off from the city of Cap-Haïtien, about a five-and-a-half-hour drive north from the capital of Port-au-Prince, which is largely under the control of gangs. 

The U.S. State Department announced the charter flight on X Saturday, providing a link for an application for those who wanted to get on it. It warned that U.S. citizens should consider the flight only if they could reach the Cap-Haïtien airport safely.

SENATE VOTES TO CONFIRM US AMBASSADOR TO HAITI AMID GANG ATTEMPT TO SEIZE POWER IN CARIBBEAN COUNTRY

This comes days after the State Department said there were no immediate plans to evacuate American citizens, citing the many warnings not to travel to Haiti over the last four years. 

Meanwhile, the non-profit Project Dynamo is working on rescuing at least 40 Americans by air or sea. It’s not clear if any of those people were on board Sunday’s charter flight. 

Members of the General Security Unit of the National Palace, USGPN, set up a security perimeter around one of the three downtown stations after police fought off an attack by gangs the day before, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Saturday, March 9, 2024. (AP Photo/Odelyn Joseph)

The State Department says it is aware of at least several hundred more American citizens who are still stuck in Haiti. 

Sunday’s flight comes after the U.S. flew in military forces to beef up security and evacuate non-essential personnel at the American embassy. 

PENTAGON ALERTED TO POTENTIAL ‘MARITIME MASS MIGRATION’ FROM HAITI AMID CARIBBEAN NATION’S SPIRALING CONFLICT

The United States flew in military forces last week to beef up security at the American Embassy and seemingly quash speculation that senior U.S. government officials might be leaving.

Pedestrians and commuters fill a street in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Tuesday, March 12, 2024.  (AP Photo/Odelyn Joseph)

Gangs have raged through Haiti in recent weeks, attacking key institutions and shutting down the main international airport. The chaos has pushed many Haitians to the brink of famine and left many more in increasingly desperate conditions.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The violence has left Haiti’s government in a state of turmoil and prompted Prime Minister Ariel Henry to pledge that he would resign once a key transitional council was in place.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Bradford Betz is a Fox News Digital breaking reporter covering crime, political issues, and much more. 

Share

Recent Posts

Here’s a closer look at Trump’s tariff plan: What to know about the new duties

President Donald Trump laid out his plans for imposing a host of new tariffs on…

9 minutes ago

Judge Boasberg poised to hold Trump admin in contempt, takes down names of DHS officials: ‘Pretty sketchy’

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg on Thursday grilled Trump administration lawyers over whether they defied…

9 minutes ago

Dr. Oz becomes next head of Medicare and Medicaid Services following approval from full Senate

Dr. Mehmet Oz will serve as the next administrator of the Centers for Medicare and…

9 minutes ago

Democrat rep vows to work with Trump on key part of tariff plan: ‘Hoping that I can help’

A moderate Democrat is expressing cautious optimism at President Donald Trump's stance on tariffs in…

9 minutes ago

FLASHBACK: Unearthed photo shows smiling Obama touring SpaceX alongside ‘Nazi nepo baby’ Elon Musk

Before Elon Musk waded into the political arena with the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE),…

9 minutes ago

Missing Wisconsin teen found more than two months after disappearance

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for April 3 Fox News Flash top headlines…

2 hours ago