Categories: World

Houthis shoot down 3rd US reaper drone as Trump administration continues daily airstrikes

close Video

CENTCOM forces launch airstrikes against Houthis in Yemen

Under the direction of President Donald Trump, U.S. Central Command conducted precision airstrikes against Iranian-backed Houthi outposts in Yemen on Saturday. (Credit: U.S. Central Command)

Houthis in Yemen have shot down another U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone, sources told Fox News. 

This is the third such drone the rebels have shot down since March 3 and the second shot down since the U.S. began conducting daily strikes.

While the U.S. has been carrying out airstrikes daily for 20 days straight, there have been few updates from the Trump administration on the status of the operation. The Pentagon has not held a press briefing in weeks, and the Defense Department has been quiet about the ongoing strikes.

AFTER DEBILITATING STRIKES, TRUMP TELLS HOUTHIS: STOP SHOOTING AT US AND ‘WE WILL STOP SHOOTING AT YOU’

President Donald Trump is taking action against the Houthis to defend U.S. shipping assets and deter terrorist threats, the White House posted on X on March 15, 2025. (The White House)

On Tuesday, the State Department announced sanctions on “financial facilitators, procurement operatives, and companies operating as part of a global illicit finance network supporting the Houthis.” 

The State Department put forward sanctions after the Houthis shot down the first Reaper in early March, citing weapons smuggling as the reason.

The U.S. has been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthis in Yemen for 20 days straight. (AP Images/Getty Images)

TRUMP’S SIGHTS SET ON IRAN AFTER US AIRSTRIKES DECIMATE MORE THAN 30 HOUTHI TARGETS

Late last month, National Security Advisor Mike Waltz spoke about the airstrikes in an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“These guys are like al Qaeda or ISIS with advanced cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and some of the most sophisticated air defenses, all provided by Iran,” Waltz said. “Keeping the sea lanes open, keeping trade and commerce open, is a fundamental aspect of our national security,” he added.

An MQ-9 Reaper drone with Customs and Border Protection awaits the next mission over the U.S.-Mexico border in November 2022 at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. (John Moore/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

MQ-9 Reaper drones cost approximately $30 million each, according to the Congressional Research Service. Houthis have shot down 13 U.S. drones since October 2023, when the Israel-Hamas war started, however, a source told Fox News that it could be as many as 17 Reapers. 

The U.S. had 230 MQ-9 Reaper drones in its arsenal as of December 2024, a U.S. defense official told Fox News. These drones are primarily used to collect intelligence but can be armed with up to eight laser-guided Hellfire missiles, according to the U.S. Air Force.

Fox News’ Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report.

Rachel Wolf is a breaking news writer for Fox News Digital and FOX Business.

Share

Recent Posts

Senate GOP pushes Trump budget framework through after marathon vote series

The Senate approved changes to the House's budget resolution on Saturday after an hourslong series…

2 hours ago

Texas track meet stabbing suspect told responding officer he ‘did it’: docs

close Video Grieving mother, twin brother of murdered Texas teen speak out Meghan Metcalf and…

6 hours ago

South Carolina AG takes on illegal immigrant hit-and-run, promises criminals ‘we’re coming for you’

close Video Illegal migrant charged with hit-and-run death of USC student Fox News correspondent Steve…

6 hours ago

Florida woman pries 6-foot alligator’s jaws open to save pet dog

close Video Florida woman pries open alligator's jaws to save pet dog Kim Spencer said…

6 hours ago

GOP’s Kennedy compares dire Trump tariff predictions to ‘late-night psychic hotlines’

While senators Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., cited economists' projections that President…

6 hours ago

Trump touts airstrike on Houthis, showing video: Will ‘never sink our ships again’

Trump on Friday shared video of a recent airstrike on Houthi rebels, writing, "They will…

6 hours ago