Categories: U.S.

Maine man sentenced to 25 years for death of infant son; Case renews criticism of state’s child welfare agency

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for August 17

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

  • 30-year-old Reginald Melvin has been sentenced to 25 years for the death of his 1-year-old son.
  • Melvin has previously faced a series of domestic violence charges, and reportedly threatened to kill the child and her mother.
  • The case has renewed criticism of Maine’s child welfare agency.

A father who’d faced a series of domestic violence charges was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the death of his 1-year-old son in a case that renewed criticism of Maine’s child welfare agency.

Reginald Melvin, 30, of Milo, was sentenced Wednesday after entering a plea that had a similar consequence to a guilty plea to a charge of manslaughter. Under an agreement, prosecutors dropped a murder charge. His son, Sylus, died in August 2021 from blunt force trauma that left him with multiple internal injuries, according to the state medical examiner.

Sylus’ mother, Desiree Newbert, said she reported to the Department of Health and Human Services that Melvin threatened to kill the family including her, Sylus, and her daughter. But that a caseworker never returned her call or visited the family. Melvin had been previously charged multiple times with domestic violence.

OPPONENTS TO NEW MAINE ABORTION LAW WON’T ATTEMPT TO NULLIFY THROUGH SO-CALLED PEOPLE’S VETO

Former state Sen. Bill Diamond accused the agency of “leaving vulnerable children in dangerous situations despite repeated warnings by family members and others that children are not safe.” The family had six different caseworkers after Sylus’ birth, and none of them compared notes with each other, Diamond said.

Reginald Melvin, above, was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the death of his 1-year-old son in a case that renewed criticism of Maine’s child welfare agency. (Piscataquis County Jail via AP)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The infant’s death was one of several dozen flagged by the Office of Children and Family Services, part of the Maine DHHS. A spokesperson didn’t immediately return a message from The Associated Press.

Share

Recent Posts

Karen Read’s second trial heads into weekend without full jury seated

close Video Forensic psychologist reveals what makes jury selection in Karen Read's murder retrial 'very…

2 hours ago

Charles Manson’s cult killings fueled by ‘perfect storm’ as theories get new analysis: criminal profiler

close Video Cult leader Charles Manson dead at age 83 One of America's most notorious…

2 hours ago

Senate GOP pushes Trump budget framework through after marathon vote series

The Senate approved changes to the House's budget resolution on Saturday after an hourslong series…

4 hours ago

Texas track meet stabbing suspect told responding officer he ‘did it’: docs

close Video Grieving mother, twin brother of murdered Texas teen speak out Meghan Metcalf and…

8 hours ago

South Carolina AG takes on illegal immigrant hit-and-run, promises criminals ‘we’re coming for you’

close Video Illegal migrant charged with hit-and-run death of USC student Fox News correspondent Steve…

8 hours ago

Florida woman pries 6-foot alligator’s jaws open to save pet dog

close Video Florida woman pries open alligator's jaws to save pet dog Kim Spencer said…

8 hours ago