Categories: Politics

March for Life attendees say work ‘far from over’ six months after Roe v. Wade overturned

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Marching forward — that was the theme for the 50th annual March for Life in Washington D.C. on Friday. Thousands of people gathered in the nation’s capital for the first time since the historic Dobbs v. Jackson decision that overturned Roe v. Wade in June.  

Every year since 1974, pro-lifers have been bringing their signs and slogans to show their support for the unborn, praying and hoping that Roe v. Wade would be overturned. The first march took place on the one-year anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, which was handed down by the Supreme Court on January 22, 1973. 

Those prayers were answered last year and now, organizers of the March for Life say their fight is just getting started. Jeanne Mancini, president of March for Life, told Fox News Digital said this year’s event will be an opportunity to reflect, celebrate and look forward to what’s next. 

PRO-LIFERS SET FOR 50TH MARCH FOR LIFE AFTER FALL OF ROE V WADE

Thousands of people gathered on the National Mall on Friday for the first time since Roe v. Wade was overturned in June. 
(Fox News)

“Our biggest focus in addition to our national march is our state march initiative,” Mancini said. “In 2022, we were in five states. This year, in 2023, we’re doubling that: we’ll be in ten states. And we plan, over the course of the next 5 to 7 years, to be in all 50 states.

A man stands with a sign at the 2023 March for Life rally in Washington, D.C.
(Fox News)

Fox News Digital spoke to attendees at the March for Life who say their work in the pro-life movement is “far from over.”

An Anglican priest speaks with Fox News Digital about why he’s still marching despite Roe v. Wade being overturned.
(Fox News)

“It’s actually the beginning of a new movement because now the marches are for next generations and future generations to even abolish the word abortion,” one woman shared. 

“People think that just because Roe v. Wade was overturned, that this is the end of the battle, so to speak,” one man told Fox News Digital. “But this is just the beginning.”

“People think that just because Roe v. Wade was overturned, that this is the end of the battle, so to speak. But this is just the beginning.”

When asked what work still needs to be done, an Anglican priest said it should be “easier for women to make the right decision. And there’s only one decision.”

BEN WATSON ON FIRST MARCH FOR LIFE SINCE OVERTURNING ROE: ‘STILL WORK TO BE DONE’

A college student says she is marching for girls her age who might think abortion is the only answer.
(Fox News)

“Students for Life Action is pushing ‘protection at conception’ bills in a lot of states around America. So we need to push for protection at conception,” a Students for Life student spokesperson said. 

One attendee says despite the new ruling, “the meaning of the event is still very strong because we have to work for this on the state level now, trying to change hearts and minds, to respect life in the womb, and to protect the unborn.”

Mancini said there is “a lot of joy” at the event this year following the Dobbs ruling last summer. 

“There is this zeal and enthusiasm and joy that is just contagious. And they’ve got their creative slogans, their signs,” Mancini remarked. “The enthusiasm is very palpable this year.”

MARCH FOR LIFE 2023 REFLECTS RENEWED EFFORT TO WIPE OUT ABORTION STATE BY STATE: FAITH LEADERS WEIGH IN

Two women talk to Fox News Digital about why they attended the event this year. 
(Fox News)

Mancini added that the March for Life has becomethe largest, longest-running human rights demonstration worldwide.”

Share

Recent Posts

Trump urged to review UN immunity, lax visa rules amid national security concerns

close Video President Trump speaks about Elise Stefanik's withdrawal as nominee for Ambassador to the…

11 minutes ago

World leaders react to Trump’s sweeping tariffs: ‘tumultuous times’ ahead

close Video Sen. Kennedy says US in ‘uncharted waters’ on tariffs: ‘Nobody knows’ what impact…

11 minutes ago

Florida man accused of killing girlfriend, staging murder scene while their children slept: police

close Video Karen Read faces second murder trial in death of boyfriend True crime forensic…

21 minutes ago

Here’s a closer look at Trump’s tariff plan: What to know about the new duties

President Donald Trump laid out his plans for imposing a host of new tariffs on…

31 minutes ago

Judge Boasberg poised to hold Trump admin in contempt, takes down names of DHS officials: ‘Pretty sketchy’

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg on Thursday grilled Trump administration lawyers over whether they defied…

31 minutes ago

Dr. Oz becomes next head of Medicare and Medicaid Services following approval from full Senate

Dr. Mehmet Oz will serve as the next administrator of the Centers for Medicare and…

31 minutes ago