close
Texas Rancher Debi Douglas says the Arizona rancher charged with murder for shooting a migrant on his property is being used as an ‘example’ to instill ‘fear’ in others who defend their property.
A Mexican official on Friday said the government wanted an Arizona rancher to face a more severe charge for allegedly killing a migrant who crossed onto his property.
An Arizona judge last week said George Alan Kelly, 74, should face second-degree murder and aggravated assault charges in the death of Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea, who was killed at Kelly’s ranch just outside Nogales, Arizona.
He initially faced a first-degree murder charge.
ARIZONA RANCHER’S DEFENSE MAKES CONTRAST WITH ALEC BALDWIN CASE, SUGGESTS DRUG TRAFFICKERS BUYING TESTIMONY
George Alan Kelly, 73, is accused of shooting a Mexican migrant on his property in January. Kelly said he fired warning shots and never fired directly at anyone. (Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office via AP)
Vanessa Calva, Mexico’s head of consular protection, told U.S. prosecutors that the Mexican government believes Kelly should face a first-degree murder charge. She said Cuen-Buitimea, 48, was unarmed, fleeing and was shot in the back.
Prosecutors allege Kelly opened fire with an AK-47 rifle on about eight unarmed migrants he encountered on Jan. 30 on his ranch, striking Cuen-Buitimea as he tried to flee. Two migrants in the group later told authorities that Kelly shot at them as well, but they were not hit and escaped over a fence back into Mexico.
Kelly’s lawyer, Brenna Larkin, said her client shot warning shots above the migrants and that he feared for the safety of himself, his wife and his property. He said he had seen people with AK-47 rifles and backpacks passing through the property.
GOFUNDME BOOTS CAMPAIGN FOR ARIZONA RANCHER HELD ON $1M BOND FOR MURDER OF MEXICAN MAN SHOT ON PROPERTY
George Alan Kelly, 73, is charged with second-degree murder for allegedly shooting a migrant on his ranch just north of the border. (Santa Cruz County Clerk of the Court )
U.S. court records show Cuen-Buitimea was convicted of illegal entry and deported back to Mexico several times, most recently in 2016, according to The Associated Press.
Kelly is free on $1 million bond.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Louis Casiano is a reporter for Fox News Digital. Story tips can be sent to louis.casiano@fox.com.
close Video Grieving mother, twin brother of murdered Texas teen speak out Meghan Metcalf and…
close Video Illegal migrant charged with hit-and-run death of USC student Fox News correspondent Steve…
close Video Florida woman pries open alligator's jaws to save pet dog Kim Spencer said…
While senators Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., cited economists' projections that President…
Trump on Friday shared video of a recent airstrike on Houthi rebels, writing, "They will…
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth is slated to meet with Panama leaders next week amid President…