Categories: U.S.

Michigan agrees to $1.75M payout for man who served 35 years on erroneous conviction

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for January 12

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

The state of Michigan has agreed to pay $1.75 million to an innocent man who spent 35 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of sexual assault.

Louis Wright was released in November after authorities said DNA tests ruled him out as the perpetrator in an attack on an 11-year-old girl in Albion, a small town in southwestern Michigan, in 1988.

People who are exonerated based on new evidence are eligible for $50,000 for each year spent in a Michigan prison. The attorney general’s office sometimes resists paying, based on strict criteria in the law, but quickly agreed to compensate Wright.

RONNIE LONG CASE: MAN GETS $25M FOR WRONGFUL RAPE CONVICTION AFTER SERVING 44 YEARS IN PRISON

The deal was approved by a judge Wednesday.

Wright told The Associated Press that he’ll likely use some money for a house as well as a vehicle for a sister.

“Nothing can make up for 35 years in a Michigan prison for something he did not do,” Wright’s attorney, Wolf Mueller, said. “This is a first step toward getting Louis’ life back at the age of 65.”

Police investigating the assault settled on Wright as the suspect after an off-duty officer said he had been seen in the neighborhood. Police said he confessed, though the interview was not recorded and he did not sign a confession, according to the Cooley Law School Innocence Project.

A man erroneously convicted of sexual assault will be awarded $1.75 million after serving 35 years in a Michigan prison.

The victim was never asked to identify Wright, the Innocence Project said.

Wright eventually pleaded no-contest to the charges and was sentenced to 25 years to 50 years in prison. He then tried to withdraw his plea at sentencing, but the request was denied.

Wright was repeatedly eligible for parole consideration, starting in 2008. But he refused to take a sex offender therapy class, a key condition for release, and remained behind bars until DNA cleared him, Mueller said.

“He said, ‘I didn’t do this crime. I’m not taking a therapy class.’ He cost himself several years, just standing on principle,” Mueller said Friday. “Not a lot of guys would do that.”

Wright said he knew he would eventually be cleared when his mouth was swabbed last summer for DNA testing.

“I spent the last couple months in prison with a smile on my face. Everyone thought I had something up my sleeve,” he said.

Since his release, Wright has been reuniting with family and enjoying simple things, such as shooting pool in a bar. Thanksgiving was special, he said, because it meant having a genuine turkey dinner — not the “white slab slime stuff.”

“I had the real thing,” said Wright, adding: “I’m just taking it one day at a time right now.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Separately, Mueller filed a lawsuit against police seeking more than $100 million. The lawsuit claims Wright’s rights were violated during the investigation in 1988.

Share

Recent Posts

In warning to Turkey, Israel hits strategic targets in Syria amid rising tensions

close Video Greek Defense Minister Dendias on Turkey's 'neo-Ottoman' policy Greek Defense Minister Dendias sounds…

51 minutes ago

Houthis shoot down 3rd US reaper drone as Trump administration continues daily airstrikes

close Video CENTCOM forces launch airstrikes against Houthis in Yemen Under the direction of President…

51 minutes ago

3 alleged MS-13 gang members in Florida hit with federal murder charges

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for April 4 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 hour ago

CEO allegedly choked fellow cruise ship passenger over dance floor dispute: FBI

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for April 4 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 hour ago

Karen Read appeals double jeopardy ruling to US Supreme Court

close Video Forensic psychologist reveals what makes jury selection in Karen Read's murder retrial 'very…

1 hour ago

Concerned parents of trans kids compared to ‘hate groups’ by Colorado Dem: Wouldn’t ‘ask the KKK’ for opinion

A Colorado Democrat likened parent groups to "the KKK" during an hours-long committee hearing for…

1 hour ago