Categories: World

Saudi authorities approve lethal force to clear residents from land for futuristic eco-city: report

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for May 8

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

A former Saudi Arabian intelligence officer is claiming that the national government is killing individuals for refusing eviction ahead of construction of a futuristic eco-city.

Colonel Rabih Alenezi, who was taken into protection by the United Kingdom last year, told the BBC that lethal force has been approved for clearing residents from land sanctioned for the Neom development project.

“Whoever continues to resist [eviction] should be killed, so it licensed the use of lethal force against whoever stayed in their home,” Alenezi told the BBC.

FITNESS INFLUENCER GOT 11 YEARS IN PRISON FOR ‘TERRORIST OFFENSES,’ SAUDI ARABIA CONFIRMS

Satellite image of NEOM Construction progress. The Line is a linear 170km smart megacity project currently in development in Saudi Arabia.  (Gallo Images/Orbital Horizon/Copernicus Sentinel Data 2023)

The region is mostly populated by the Huwaitat tribe, who have suffered mass-arrests and crackdowns for not complying with eviction orders.

Multiple villages have already been torn down in pursuit of furthering the Neom project, an eco-friendly urban development program heavily funded by Western nations.

“[Neom] is the centerpiece of Mohamed Bin Salman’s ideas,” Alenezi reportedly told the BBC. “That’s why he was so brutal in dealing with the Huwaitat.”

SAUDI ARABIA’S ROYAL FAMILY: THE WOMEN OF THE HOUSE OF SAUD, A WEALTHY DYNASTY

Businessmen watch an on-screen presentation of Saudi Arabia’s The Line project at MIPIM in Cannes, France. (Laurent Coust/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

A main pillar of the Neom project is “The Line,” a proposed eco-city without the need of automotive vehicles. 

The 106-mile metropolis will be arranged in the titular “line” layout with public transportation allowing quick travel through the skinny urban area.

Saudi prime minister Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman has focused his attention and vast resources on the project, with hopes its completion will mark a new era in the modernization of his father’s kingdom.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia takes his seat ahead of a working lunch at the G20 Summit in Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia. (Leon Neal/Pool Photo via AP)

Fox News Digital reached out to the Saudi Arabian embassy in Washington, D.C. for comment and has not yet received a response.

The Neom project and its Line city are both part of the nation’s Saudi Vision 2030 agenda. 

Just a little over two kilometers of The Line are expected to be completed by 2030, with further construction to continue throughout the decade.

Timothy Nerozzi is a writer for Fox News Digital. You can follow him on Twitter @timothynerozzi and can email him at timothy.nerozzi@fox.com

Share

Recent Posts

The losers and winners of Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ tariff plan

President Donald Trump unveiled his latest tariff plan last week on "Liberation Day," which the…

2 hours ago

Trump, Musk, face blame for setbacks, but are Wisconsin, Florida elections crystal ball for 2026 midterms?

Democrats are celebrating a larger-than-expected victory in a high-profile and historically expensive election in battleground…

2 hours ago

GOP congressman says Signal leak was ‘obviously’ a mistake, defers to president to determine consequences

GOP Rep. Marlin Stutzman told Fox News Digital that the recent Signal leak debacle was…

2 hours ago

Left-wing movie director Oliver Stone rips Democrats’ ‘lying’ Russiagate probe against Trump

Left-wing movie director Oliver Stone slammed Democrats for weaponizing federal law enforcement and "lying" in…

2 hours ago

Pope appears in St. Peter’s Square for first time in weeks

close Video Pope Francis appears in public after weeks of sickness Pope Francis appeared in…

3 hours ago

Hamas terror outlet quietly cuts Gaza death count, reveals most killed were combat-age men

close Video Israel Goes Back on Offense Big difference this time is Netanyahu has Trump's…

3 hours ago