Categories: U.S.

Teen in Iowa found guilty of murder, manslaughter in shooting deaths of students

close Video

Candidates make appearances for Iowa football

FOX News correspondent Mark Meredith reports on how some 2024 presidential candidates paid their respects on the anniversary of 9/11 and joined in on the Iowa football festivities on ’Special Report.’

An Iowa teenager was found guilty on Thursday of second-degree murder and manslaughter in the deaths of two students that he shot at a Des Moines alternative school earlier this year.

Preston Walls, 19, had been charged with first-degree murder in the deaths, but jurors found him guilty of lesser charges. That seemed to indicate jurors accepted Walls’ claim that he fired on the students because he feared for his life.

Walls was charged in the deaths of Gionni Dameron, 18, and Rashad Carr, 16, at the Starts Right Here program on Jan. 23.

IOWA TEEN WHO KILLED 2 FELLOW STUDENTS CLAIMS HE FEARED FOR HIS LIFE, ‘HE DIDN’T WANT TO DIE’

Walls also was found guilty of willful injury causing serious injury for his shooting of Will Keeps, a former Chicago gang member and rapper who started the Des Moines program for at-risk teens. He was acquitted of attempted murder in the shooting of Keeps.

If Walls had been convicted of first-degree murder, he would have faced a mandatory sentence of life in prison. His conviction of second-degree murder in the death of Carr and voluntary manslaughter in the death of Dameron means he will be eligible for parole.

Walls will be sentenced in November.

The man fatally shot by a Franklin County, Iowa sheriff’s deputy has been identified as 30-year-old Matt Davis of Hampton. The firearm he brandished and refused to drop during the fatal confrontation was determined to be a pellet gun.

Defense attorneys acknowledged Walls killed the two students and shot Keeps, but they argued he did so because he believed his own life was in danger. Walls was set to graduate from the program two days after the shooting and said he thought Dameron and Carr would attack him when he left school because they wouldn’t have an opportunity later.

Defense lawyers noted during trial that Dameron was armed with a gun at the school on the day of the shooting.

“I was scared to walk out of that school at 1 o’clock. They waited outside the school for me before,” Walls told jurors.

Under questioning by prosecutors, Walls admitted shooting Carr nine times and shooting Dameron 13 times, as well as hitting Keeps with two bullets.

Police arrested Walls less than an hour after the shooting. Another person, Bravon Tukes, is scheduled to stand trial on murder charges on Oct. 2. He’s accused of picking up Walls after the shooting and driving away from the area.

TRIAL FOR DES MOINES SCHOOL SHOOTER THAT KILLED 2 PEOPLE SET TO BEGIN THIS WEEK

Prosecutors argued Walls was affiliated with a gang that frequently had disputes with a rival gang, whose members included Dameron and Carr. Families of all the teens disputed that they were gang members.

Starts Right Here reopened within several weeks of the shooting and Keeps returned despite lingering injuries. The program, which is affiliated with Des Moines public schools, continues to operate with about 30 students this fall.

The families of Carr and Dameron have filed a lawsuit against the program and Keeps, claiming they failed to keep the program safe.

Share

Recent Posts

Trump urged to review UN immunity, lax visa rules amid national security concerns

close Video President Trump speaks about Elise Stefanik's withdrawal as nominee for Ambassador to the…

2 hours ago

World leaders react to Trump’s sweeping tariffs: ‘tumultuous times’ ahead

close Video Sen. Kennedy says US in ‘uncharted waters’ on tariffs: ‘Nobody knows’ what impact…

2 hours ago

Florida man accused of killing girlfriend, staging murder scene while their children slept: police

close Video Karen Read faces second murder trial in death of boyfriend True crime forensic…

2 hours ago

Here’s a closer look at Trump’s tariff plan: What to know about the new duties

President Donald Trump laid out his plans for imposing a host of new tariffs on…

2 hours ago

Judge Boasberg poised to hold Trump admin in contempt, takes down names of DHS officials: ‘Pretty sketchy’

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg on Thursday grilled Trump administration lawyers over whether they defied…

2 hours ago

Dr. Oz becomes next head of Medicare and Medicaid Services following approval from full Senate

Dr. Mehmet Oz will serve as the next administrator of the Centers for Medicare and…

2 hours ago