Categories: U.S.

Tesla owner in Dallas sues vandal after Model X slashed in airport parking lot

close Video

Tesla camera captures man in Dallas keying car

The victim of a vandalized Tesla is suing the suspect after his Model X was slashed in the Dallas Fort-Worth International Airport parking lot.

A Dallas man whose Tesla Model X was vandalized in the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport parking lot is suing the vandal for more than $1 million.

The suspect, Rafael Hernandez, was arrested March 22 on a criminal mischief charge by the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office after he was recorded by the Tesla’s built-in cameras striking the left side of the electric-powered vehicle.

The victim, who is choosing to remain anonymous, was traveling when his Tesla was damaged in the airport parking lot. In the footage obtained by Fox, Hernandez can be seen pulling an object out of his pocket and forcing it into the side of the Model X. 

The Tesla owner told Fox News Digital in an exclusive interview that the “motives were wrong, and [Hernandez’s] acts were intentional — it is for a judge and jury to decide, based on the facts, what his punishment should be. I believe strongly that I was targeted because my car is a Tesla. I didn’t even realize that this nationwide Tesla attack was even a thing — until I was thrown into that world. What’s important to me is that it happened, it was intentional, and it was wrong. As a result, I’ve been thrown into a nightmare, and I don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

ELON MUSK TORCHES DEMOCRATS FOR BEING ‘REAL VILLAINS’ OF TESLA VANDALISM, BLAMES LEFT-WING PROPAGANDA

A man was seen on camera keying a Tesla in the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport parking lot. The suspect, Rafael Hernandez, was arrested March 22 on a criminal mischief charge. (Fox News)

Fox News Digital reached out to the attorney representing Hernandez, but he could not be reached for comment. 

The lawsuit filed by the victim outlines “Individual owners of Tesla vehicles, like Plaintiff, are being targeted and victimized by ongoing criminal conduct and action. This has culminated in the ‘Tesla Takedown’ movement, where certain activists are urging consumers to divest from Tesla products and are organizing protests and other activities that are explicitly or implicitly urging physical damage and/or violence against Tesla owners and/or their Tesla vehicles. Plaintiff recently became a target and victim of this criminal conduct and action.”

One outspoken voice of the “Tesla Takedown” movement, Democratic Rep. Jasmine Crockett, D-Texas, told attendees at a virtual rally earlier this month that the Department of Government Efficiency head and Tesla founder Elon Musk must be “taken down.”

VANDAL STRIKES CYBERTRUCK, TESLA OWNER HITS BACK

The victim’s attorney, Majed Nachawati, right, spoke with Fox News Digital about the incident. (Fox News)

On Saturday, demonstrators gathered at more than 500 Tesla locations worldwide in a “Global Day of Action” to protest the Musk-founded car company. 

In an interview, Majed Nachawati, the attorney representing the Dallas-based Tesla owner in the lawsuit, told Fox News Digital that owning a car shouldn’t be political. “Whether you’re a Republican or a Democrat, this is a free country. You’re entitled to drive whatever you want, as long as it’s legal and within the confines of the law, and you should feel safe and secure in doing so, which, in my opinion, is why the authorities on the law enforcement side are taking these cases very seriously.” 

WATCH THE INTERVIEW WITH THE ATTORNEY:

Video

Nachawati went on to explain the importance of consequences for those vandalizing the vehicles, saying “It’s a slippery slope, where does it end? Right? Fortunately, you know, my client’s car was keyed. He wasn’t injured himself, and he wasn’t in the vehicle. But others haven’t been so lucky, and so if this continues, you know, it’s a fine line between having a civil society and chaos.”

MAN ARRESTED IN MOLOTOV COCKTAIL ATTACK AT TESLA SHOP IN LAS VEGAS WILL ALSO FACE FEDERAL CHARGES

FBI Director Kash Patel, who recently launched a task force to crack down on violent attacks against the car brand, warned Tesla dealerships and owners to “exercise vigilance and look out for suspicious activity” ahead of this past weekend’s widespread protests.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Fox News Digital reached out to the Tarrant County District Attorney’s office, but they could not be reached for comment.

Preston Mizell is a writer with Fox News Digital covering breaking news.

Share

Recent Posts

Some countries targeted by Trump tariffs seek negotiations, China says ‘no winners in trade wars’

close Video Trump announces tariff plan on 'Liberation Day' President Donald Trump took to the…

44 minutes ago

Washington Post article hyping anti-DOGE protesters in deep red state omits crucial details

FIRST ON FOX: An article on the Washington Post's newspaper cover highlighting Department of Government…

1 hour ago

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: AOC refuses to say whether Democrats’ rhetoric is responsible for Tesla attacks

Questioned by Fox News Digital, "Squad" member and leading Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New…

1 hour ago

Cuban-born rep to lobby Trump admin for major actions to ‘starve’ Havana regime: ‘The time is now’

EXCLUSIVE: The only Cuban-born member of Congress is calling on the Trump administration to "starve…

1 hour ago

Senate approves resolution against Trump’s Canada tariffs hours after ‘Liberation Day’ event

The Senate on Wednesday approved a resolution opposing President Donald Trump's tariffs on imports from…

1 hour ago

Trump invites El Salvador’s Bukele to White House for ‘working visit’

President Donald Trump has invited El Salvadorian President Nayib Bukele to visit him at the…

1 hour ago