Categories: World

UN special envoy for Sudan resigns, warns of potential ‘full-scale civil war’

close Video

Fox News Flash top headlines for September 13

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.

The U.N. special envoy for Sudan who was declared unwelcome by the country’s military rulers announced his resignation Wednesday in a final speech to the U.N. Security Council. He warned that the conflict between Sudan’s two military leaders “could be morphing into a full-scale civil war.”

Volker Perthes, who had continued to work outside Sudan, said the fighting shows no sign of abating, with neither side appearing close to “a decisive military victory.”

Sudan has been rocked by violence since mid-April, when tensions between the country’s military, led by Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, burst into open fighting.

Perthes said at least 5,000 people have been killed since then and over 12,000 wounded, calling these conservative numbers. The United Nations says the country also faces a dire humanitarian emergency.

Perthes was a key mediator after the conflict began, but the military government claimed he was biased and informed U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on June 8 that he was declared persona non grata.

CONFLICT IN SUDAN LEADS TO 3.1 MILLION PEOPLE DISPLACED, UN SAYS

The U.N. envoy for Sudan has resigned, warning that the conflict could be turning into “full-scale civil war.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The U.N. denounced the move, saying that a member of its personnel cannot be declared persona non grata — unacceptable to the government — and that this goes against the U.N. Charter.

In announcing his resignation, Perthes, who was appointed as special representative for Sudan in January 2021, urged the warring sides to end the fighting and warned them “they cannot operate with impunity.”

“There will be accountability for the crimes committed,” he said.

A former German academic with extensive background in international relations, Perthes served as chief executive officer and director of the German Institute for International and Security Affairs from 2005 to September 2020. From 2015 to 2018, he served as a U.N. assistant secretary-general and senior adviser to U.N. special envoy for Syria.

Share

Recent Posts

Florida woman stole thousands during tarot card readings, spiritual cleansings scam: report

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for April 5 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 hour ago

Legacy media, DC journos come around to investigating Dem scandals years after conservatives sounded alarm

Legacy media and longtime politics reporters are increasingly reporting on scandals that rocked the Democratic…

1 hour ago

Kevin Hassett doubles down on Trump tariffs, says dozens of countries are asking to negotiate

White House Economic Council Director Kevin Hassett doubled down on the effectiveness of President Donald…

1 hour ago

The losers and winners of Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ tariff plan

President Donald Trump unveiled his latest tariff plan last week on "Liberation Day," which the…

3 hours ago

Trump, Musk, face blame for setbacks, but are Wisconsin, Florida elections crystal ball for 2026 midterms?

Democrats are celebrating a larger-than-expected victory in a high-profile and historically expensive election in battleground…

3 hours ago

GOP congressman says Signal leak was ‘obviously’ a mistake, defers to president to determine consequences

GOP Rep. Marlin Stutzman told Fox News Digital that the recent Signal leak debacle was…

3 hours ago