Categories: World

US conducts ‘self-defense strikes’ against Houthi anti-ship cruise missiles

close Video

IDF reveals Hamas tunnel used to hide ‘high-ranking’ members, hostages

Israel Defense Forces uncover elaborate tunnel in Hamas stronghold of Khan Younis. (Credit: IDF via APTN)

The U.S. conducted two “self-defense strikes” in Yemen on Wednesday against three Houthi mobile anti-ship cruise missiles preparing to launch into the Red Sea, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) announced.

Since Saturday, the U.S. has taken out 44 separate Houthi targets in joint airstrikes with the U.K. Meanwhile, the Houthis have launched 48 attacks on vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since Nov. 19.

The U.S. military says the Houthi missiles were “prepared to launch” against ships in the Red Sea.

“CENTCOM identified these missiles in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen and determined they presented an imminent threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region. These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy and merchant vessels,” CENTCOM said in a statement.

SEN. HAWLEY CLAPS BACK AS ‘PRO-TERRORIST’ ACTIVIST SHOUTS ‘HAMAS WILL NEVER BE ELIMINATED’

F-18 fighter jets from USS Dwight D. Eisenhower participated in air strikes on Houthi forces in Yemen on Jan. 22, 2023. (CENTCOM / X)

US RETALIATORY STRIKES WILL PROVE ‘INEFFECTIVE’: KIRK LIPPOLD

Earlier this week, CENTCOM published a video showing U.S. forces supporting joint strikes against Houthi militants.

The video showed rockets launching from the ships in pitch-black darkness. The efforts were part of joint strikes against the Houthis, which included support from the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Bahrain, the Netherlands and New Zealand.

CENTCOM said that the Saturday strikes were launched by USS Carney, USS Gravely and USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.

A missile is launched from a warship during the U.S.-led coalition operation against Yemen’s Houthi rebels. (U.S. Central Command)

US STRIKES HOUTHI ANTI-AIRCRAFT MISSILE INSIDE YEMEN, OFFICIAL SAYS

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said that the recent counterstrikes are aimed to “degrade the capabilities” of the Houthis.

“These strikes are intended to further disrupt and degrade the capabilities of the Iranian-backed Houthi militia to conduct their reckless and destabilizing attacks against U.S. and international vessels lawfully transiting the Red Sea,” Austin said in a statement on Saturday.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said that the recent counterstrikes are aimed to “degrade the capabilities” of the Houthis. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“This collective action sends a clear message to the Houthis that they will continue to bear further consequences if they do not end their illegal attacks on international shipping and naval vessels,” he added. 

Fox News’ Liz Friden and Andrea Vacchiano contributed to this report

Anders Hagstrom is a reporter with Fox News Digital covering national politics and major breaking news events. Send tips to Anders.Hagstrom@Fox.com, or on Twitter: @Hagstrom_Anders.

Share

Recent Posts

In warning to Turkey, Israel hits strategic targets in Syria amid rising tensions

close Video Greek Defense Minister Dendias on Turkey's 'neo-Ottoman' policy Greek Defense Minister Dendias sounds…

1 hour ago

Houthis shoot down 3rd US reaper drone as Trump administration continues daily airstrikes

close Video CENTCOM forces launch airstrikes against Houthis in Yemen Under the direction of President…

1 hour ago

3 alleged MS-13 gang members in Florida hit with federal murder charges

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for April 4 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 hour ago

CEO allegedly choked fellow cruise ship passenger over dance floor dispute: FBI

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for April 4 Fox News Flash top headlines…

1 hour ago

Karen Read appeals double jeopardy ruling to US Supreme Court

close Video Forensic psychologist reveals what makes jury selection in Karen Read's murder retrial 'very…

1 hour ago

Concerned parents of trans kids compared to ‘hate groups’ by Colorado Dem: Wouldn’t ‘ask the KKK’ for opinion

A Colorado Democrat likened parent groups to "the KKK" during an hours-long committee hearing for…

2 hours ago