The big balloon was recorded over Montana earlier this week.
Chase Doak/video screenshot by Eric Mack/CNET
The United States shot down on Saturday what it says was a Chinese spy balloon after the object drifted over the US for several days and then sailed out over the Atlantic Ocean, according to a number of media reports.
The US military had been tracking the balloon all week, with the Pentagon saying that President Joe Biden was first briefed about it on Tuesday. Earlier in the week, when the balloon was over Montana, the Pentagon advised against shooting it down over concerns about the danger from falling debris.
China said Friday that the balloon was primarily used for meteorological research and that its entry into US airspace was unintended and regretful. But US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the same day that his department was “confident” the balloon was being used for surveillance. Blinken canceled his planned weekend trip to Beijing.
More to come.
Most U.S. data breach disclosures explain what information was leaked and any protective steps available…
Dating has changed a lot over the past decade. First, we moved from meeting people…
Right now, in several American cities, you can open an app, and a car with…
An email arrived that looked like a routine billing alert for YouTube TV Premium. Near…
IN TODAY’S NEWSLETTER: - AI giant Palantir moves its headquarters to Florida as tech company…
A Chinese robotics company recently did something most tech firms would never dare attempt. Agibot…