Categories: Sport

Villarreal’s Álex Baena says he has received death threats following alleged confrontation with Real Madrid player

Álex Baena says he and his family have received death threats.

Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images


CNN
 — 

Villarreal player Álex Baena says he and his family have received death threats after he was involved in a confrontation with a Real Madrid player, who allegedly “assaulted” him after Saturday’s match.

It has been widely reported that the Madrid player in question is Federico Valverde. According to a Villarreal statement, the alleged fracas took place as Baena made his way to the team bus after a dramatic 3-2 victory over Los Blancos at the Santiago Bernabéu.

Villarreal said on Sunday that Baena had filed a report to the police, but the club’s statement didn’t mention Valverde by name.

CNN has reached out to Real Madrid, Valverde, Villarreal, Baena, the Madrid prosecutor and LaLiga for comment.

Multiple reports claimed the incident was sparked by comments Baena allegedly made about Valverde’s partner’s pregnancy, something the Villarreal player denies.

“Last Saturday I was assaulted by a colleague of this profession after the match against Real Madrid ended,” Baena said in a statement posted on Instagram.

Federico Valverde and Álex Baena clashed during the match.

Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images

“After the event, some statements allegedly made by his entourage came to light, in which it was said that I wished harm on a family member. Since then, and it couldn’t be otherwise, no evidence has been published to prove the acts which are attributed to me.

“The damage being done to my family is irreparable and unjustifiable: threats, insults and even private messages wishing my family death. Yesterday, I reported the case to the police. We will let justice run its course.”

In a thread posted to Twitter on Monday, Valverde’s partner Mina Bonino said the couple were told in February they had lost the baby, but found out later that the pregnancy was healthy.

“Imagine all of that only to ‘overcome’ it and be told that you’re taking advantage of this misfortune,” Bonino wrote.

“We never incite violence at any moment. I’m sorry that threats have been received, which I also receive, but it is out of my hands.”

In his statement, Baena said “there are lies that hurt more than punches.”

Villarreal said in a statement on Sunday that it “rejects any act of violence and firmly believes in the player’s version of events and will support him throughout this process.”

Share

Recent Posts

Trump urged to review UN immunity, lax visa rules amid national security concerns

close Video President Trump speaks about Elise Stefanik's withdrawal as nominee for Ambassador to the…

11 minutes ago

World leaders react to Trump’s sweeping tariffs: ‘tumultuous times’ ahead

close Video Sen. Kennedy says US in ‘uncharted waters’ on tariffs: ‘Nobody knows’ what impact…

11 minutes ago

Florida man accused of killing girlfriend, staging murder scene while their children slept: police

close Video Karen Read faces second murder trial in death of boyfriend True crime forensic…

21 minutes ago

Here’s a closer look at Trump’s tariff plan: What to know about the new duties

President Donald Trump laid out his plans for imposing a host of new tariffs on…

30 minutes ago

Judge Boasberg poised to hold Trump admin in contempt, takes down names of DHS officials: ‘Pretty sketchy’

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg on Thursday grilled Trump administration lawyers over whether they defied…

30 minutes ago

Dr. Oz becomes next head of Medicare and Medicaid Services following approval from full Senate

Dr. Mehmet Oz will serve as the next administrator of the Centers for Medicare and…

30 minutes ago